Some points to consider:
- Why do you want a Forest School in your setting?
- Do you want Forest School which is mainly child led or do you actually want curriculum linked outdoor learning?
- How can Forest School fulfil those aims?
- If you want to set up a Forest School are you able to adhere to Forest School Association Principles of Forest School? https://forestschoolassociation.org/full-principles-and-criteria-for-good-practice/
- If you want to offer outdoor experiences or learning but you are not able to follow the principles then call it something else; Nature Play, Wellie Wednesday,
Woodland Wonders etc.
- If your sessions are not led by trained Forest School leaders have you considered risk assessments and the previous experience or alternative qualifications of
- Are all your stakeholders on board including the head teacher, governors, teaching and support staff, admin especially the business manager, grounds maintenance
and site supervisor, parents and pupils?
- How are you going to communicate with your stakeholders?
- What equipment do you need to start with?
- Where are you going to set up your Forest School; on site or off site?
- How will you manage your site?
- How will you keep your site safe?
- If off site how are you going to get there and how will you transport your equipment?
- What do you need to do to the site to prepare it for Forest School?
- Where will you store your equipment?
- Have you considered the adult:child ratios?
- Who will staff your Forest School?
- What training will your staff have?
- What will the knock on effect be on the rest of the setting when your Forest School is in action?
- What funding will you need?
Tina has experience of training as as a Level 3 Forest School leader and setting up an onsite Forest School in a Primary School whilst a class teacher. She has also
experience as a freelance Forest School Leader and Outdoor Educator working with schools, an activity centre and local parks.
If you have a member of staff setting up a Forest School and you are in a Leeds setting they can join the Leeds Forest School Cluster Group by emailing Tina and
asking to be added to the mailing list. We have termly meetings usually on a theme but are also a support group happy to answer questions. Membership is free.
If you would like Tina to visit your setting and advise on setting up a Forest School or Outdoor Learning Expereinces send an email to discuss.
If you would like a CPD taster session of Forest School either on site or off site contact Tina to discuss possibilities and charging.